Re: [Gimp-developer] [Newbie]Would like to contribute

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 6:44 PM, Kevin Pellet <ilphrin autistici org> wrote:
Hi!

I've never posted since my presentation a few months ago, because of a
big lack of time (school, work, etc...). But now I have (a little) spare
time to give a hand on Gimp. :)

I am a student in IT and more precisely as C/C++ dev' at Epitech Lyon,
so I can work on correction of bugs, and I like too to write
documentation, articles, and translation.

I heard that the big plan for now is porting every possible thing into
GEGL, and that there was some work to do on the wiki. I'd love to do
everything but I know I can't ;) And the fact is that I don't really
know where to start, if someone could guide me for the firsts steps that
would be awesome :D

The best way to start is if you use GIMP and experience yourself some
bug or other issue that you want fixed. This is an ideal start and
much rewarding to yourself, I think. :-)

Other than this, you can have a look at the bugzilla. We have hundreds of bugs:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/page.cgi?id=browse.html&product=GIMP

Easier would be to check the "newcomer bugs" list (link on the right
of the page), though I doubt this is a very complete list, so you
should also search for other bugs. Easy bugs for a newcomers are:

- crashes, because it allows to follow the stack trace at crash time
with a debugger.
- bugs which output warnings, because you can make warnings crash GIMP
by running it with --gtk-g-fatal-warnings option. And then same as
previous, use a debugger.
- bugs with UI text, because you can grep the visible text to find
where it is in the source files, and from there search for source of
the issue.

Also check the file `HACKING` in our repository. It gives some
indication on compilation or the syntax we use in the GIMP project.

And last but not least, any contributor is really encouraged to hang
out on IRC (#gimp at irc.gimp.org). This is where you'll get some
information faster, and also where you can pressure us a little to
review your patches if we forget, or anything like this. :-)

Jehan

By the way, I really love the new website!

Have a nice day,

--
Kevin Pellet (/Ilphrin/)
ilphrin autistici org