Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP 2.9.x AppImage for testing

On 5 August 2016 at 12:41, Carmelo DrRaw <aferrero1975 gmail com> wrote:
On 05 Aug 2016, at 13:24, C R <cajhne gmail com> wrote:
Also, I only get the message "Should a desktop file ..." on the first run, then I'm able to run the new
desktop file like I do regularly (by hitting the Super key, and typing GIMP). The appimage only should be
run once, correct?

No, it is run each time, because it does not install anything apart from the desktop file.

I clicked "No" to the "Should I install ... " dialogue, which is why I
saw it again (I didn't want it to touch my system). It would be nice
if it remembered this as a setting.

The only other thing is that running GIMP from the app image is much slower than GIMP installed from repo.
That's probably to be expected, I guess, but thought it was worth mentioning. It still loads faster than
Photoshop! :)

This is hopefully more due to compilation flags than the appimage architecture itself. I will try to
improve optimisations in the next test version.

I think the .AppImage executable contains an embedded compressed zip
file that is temporarily mounted to make gimp think it's installed on
the filesystem. I imagine there's some overhead compared to a real
install.

appimage gimp did feel a bit slow to start. I would be interesting to
benchmark startup.

John