Re: [Gimp-developer] Enhancement request policy

Hello,

I don't believe this was in the items of the GIMP meeting at LGM. This
said, I arrived slightly late, and it was very hard to keep up on
everything which was being said because the table was huge and the
room very noisy. So maybe I missed this discussion.

Anyway I'll give my opinion here on the topic: I don't think this is
any kind of problem to let feature requests live in the bugzilla. We
know what a feature request is, we know that it is not prioritary
compared to bugs. For me that is not a problem to have dozens, if not
hundreds, of these staying in the bugtracker. Numbers are not a
problem for me. We have many feature requests? So what? :-)

As soon as we are sure that a request is not going in the same
direction as GIMP, we can close it as INVALID. If a request is
implemented, close as FIXED. And if we are still not sure of a feature
or if we may implement it later, then it is ok to keep the report
around for the time being, in my opinion.

On the other hand, mailing lists are time-fleeting. A topic there
disappears. So I think they are awesome to have a discussion about a
feature. If some report gets too big and everyone disagrees on a
feature, it may be good to continue discussing on the mailing list
(otherwise Mitch will go crazy!). But it is good also that the
original reports stays put. And when we come to an agreement on the
mailing list, we can report it to the bug report.

This is my opinion on this topic.

Jehan

P.S.: by the way, didn't we already discuss it months/years ago?