Re: [Gimp-developer] Portable development environment for GIMP

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 11:55 AM, Michael Schumacher <schumaml gmx de>
wrote:

GIMP developers use Debian Testing, with the assumption that is anything
is present there, then a GIMP build can require it.

A build based on Debian Jessie, currently aka Debian Stable, will divert
from that over time, and might not even contain some of the required
dependencies. Due to the recent release of Jessie, this is not very
noticeable yet.

A moving target like Debian Testing is probably a less than optimal
building block for a vagrant-based approach.

I'm aware the core devs use Debian testing.  I would have used Debian
testing but currently there's no Debian testing in any of the tooling like
Vagrant [1] and Docker [2].  However, as time progresses, and new Debian
versions come out, the development tooling can to be updated to newer
Debian versions before any anticipated or noticeable divergence occurs.

If a divergence becomes a regular problem then perhaps it would be more
useful to fall back on developing in a more stable platform.  Though, since
that isn't currently an issue it's just a thought.

[1]: https://atlas.hashicorp.com/debian/
[2]: https://hub.docker.com/_/debian/

--
I prefer to encrypt my email

GPG FINGERPRINT 4096 KEY
8D8B F0E2 42D8 A068 572E
BF3C E8F7 3234 7257 E65F
https://keybase.io/samrocketman

Learn how to encrypt your email with the Email Self Defense guide:
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/