Re: [Gimp-developer] building GIMP from git

On 10/07/2015 12:54 PM, Olivier wrote:
​Finally I succedded in installing ​GIMP,  by fetching gegl, babl,
gdk-pixbuf, and gimp itself from git, and configuring and installing
them all under the same prefix. Under Ubuntu 15.04, the GIO extra
modules are located in usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules.

Thus I used Martin Nordholts' explanation in
http://www.gimp.org/source/howtos/gimp-git-build.html, but I added gegl,
babl, and gdk-pixbuf tothe packages to be fetched from git, compiled and
installed, and I added GIO_EXTRA_MODULES  to the exported variables,
although I'm not sure that is needed.

Thanks to all!

Olivier Lecarme

Based on comments in https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gegl-git/, it does look like maybe the original problem was that GIMP was finding a too-outdated version of GEGL.

I never needed to export GIO_EXTRA_MODULES until I tried to run GIMP 2.8 installed from the Gentoo package manager alongside babl/GEGL/GIMP from git installed in a prefix. But here's the reference, fwiw:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list/2015-February/msg00042.html
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list/2015-February/msg00051.html

Looking at what Mitch said, it seems exporting GIO_EXTRA_MODULES is only be needed if glib is also built in the prefix. So sorry for the noise! if you didn't also build glib in the prefix.

For the next person trying to build GIMP from git who might stumble over this thread, a few other "why it doesn't work and what to do" are documented here:

http://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Hacking:Problems_and_solutions