Re: [Gimp-developer] Portable development environment for GIMP

On 10/02/2015 09:24 PM, Christopher Curtis wrote:
I've never used it but wouldn't Gentoo be ideal for this? A source-based
distribution that compiles and installs the latest dependencies?

Gentoo usually is compiled optimized for the specific hardware that it's run on. I'm assuming this "vagrant" thing works somewhat like a virtual machine? If so, the following post gives generalized settings for installing Gentoo as a VirtualBox guest, which might be applicable for vagrant:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1017314-highlight-virtualbox.html

And this wiki post has some general considerations on settings for make.conf and for compiling the kernel in a virtual machine:

http://gentoo-en.vfose.ru/wiki/Virtualbox_Guest

So if "vagrant" is like a virtual machine and if Gentoo really can be installed "not optimized for specific hardware", then Gentoo has some advantages:

It's a rolling distribution that has recent software always available, with the option to enable "even more recent" that isn't as well-tested (but it almost always works flawlessly). Usually with Gentoo the only software I need to install in the GIMP prefix is babl, GEGL, and GIMP. Whereas other distributions that don't have such recent packages often require glib, gdk-pixbuf, etc.

If you start with the right configuration files, profile and use flags, and use a minimal window manager instead of a full desktop (I use IceWM+startx), you can install GIMP in Gentoo with no gnome dependencies, no polkit, no policykit, no consolekit, no systemd, etc, etc, etc. In other words, there's a *lot* less required software to install and update. And the resulting system uses less memory when it's sitting there doing nothing, compared to systems with all the bells and whistles. If anyone wants to try Gentoo, I'd be happy to share example configuration files for a minimal install.

On the other hand, installing Gentoo and setting up the configuration files does require a bit of thinking, and sometimes the Handbook isn't as clear as one might hope. But fortunately the Gentoo forums are very helpful.

Best,
Elle