Re: [Gimp-developer] xdg-app; was: WGO Transition Meeting

On 11/17/2015 06:33 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 2:31 PM, Elle Stone wrote:
On 11/17/2015 03:17 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

It doesn't have to be RPM, and it doesn't have to be DEB. It doesn't
even have to be installable. A simple static build inside a tarball,
provided by download.gimp.org, will work just fine. Thousands and
thousands of Blender users will confirm.

How do you make a simple static build inside a tarball?

1. Make a static build.
2. Use 'tar -jcvf' to creat a tarball from the build's directory.

Is that what you were asking? ;)

How do you make a static build? The ./configure --help does mention static something or other, but I've never tried to make a static build.

Does this really make the resulting "whatever it is" actually run on any Linux distribution?

Can you provide an actual command line example for the compiling of babl, GEGL, and GIMP all statically linked together or whatever is required? Would glib and etc also need to be in the mix somehow?

I know Blender does provide a non-installed "extract and run", but it seems like magic.

Elle