Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP useability - choosing linear vs perceptually uniform RGB

On Sat, May 2, 2015 at 9:45 AM, Elle Stone
<ellestone ninedegreesbelow com> wrote:
To be more blunt, the babl flips are Pippin's brain-child. If Pippin says
"no user choice", is there any real benefit to anyone if I write up a spec?
Wouldn't it just be a waste of everyone's time?

I have not stated *no*user*choice*, but I have stated that good ways
to let the user override these choices seem to be more along the lines
of what Gez is proposing, explicit conversions to and from other
working spaces / linearity / unpremultiplication. Let it be a separate
manual step to override sane defaults where sane defaults helps the
vast majority of uses by both operators of the software unaware of
these nuances as well as color management experts. This can be done as
separate actions without having additional, possibly confusing,
buttons in the UI.

On a related note, I hope we get rid of the FIR / IIR UI choice in
gaussian blur - that is parts of our UI which in reality are even less
useful for our operators.

/pippin