Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP useability - choosing linear vs perceptually uniform RGB

On 05/01/2015 08:46 AM, Douglas Ray wrote:
On 1/05/15 12:00 PM, Gez wrote:
El jue, 30-04-2015 a las 17:40 -0400, Elle Stone escribió:
http://ninedegreesbelow.com/bug-reports/gimp-linear-perceptual-rgb.html

Is what's shown in the screenshots feasible in terms of linking the
operations to the proposed UI?

I like this solution.

I'd like it more if (in Elle's "sample editing operation", and
"sample tool dialog"; not the layer stack) the "L" and "P"
widgets had an adjoining text field which spelt out the current
setting.

I like the idea of spelling out Linear and Perceptual, except of course not on Layers.

Implementing and maintaining this would be simpler if the widgets
actually used were from existing widget classes (eg, the button /
drop-down-menu visible as the "Brush" and "Dynamics" controls in
Elle's "sample tool dialog").  Sorry - less pretty.

Reuseable code is good!

(That said, I mostly use GIMP for RGB -> CMYK.  If controls were
implemented with sufficient generality to graft in CMYK, sometime
in my lifetime, that would be oh so dandy.)

Perusing old posts about using GIMP and putting aside the request for high bit depth editing as a done deal, this seems to be the number one user request for people considering switching to GIMP, right alongside better color management and non-destructive adjustment layers.

Best,
Elle