Re: [Gimp-developer] Exporting Keyboard shortcuts (key bindings/accelerators)

On 02/11/2015 10:25 PM, Seldom Needy wrote:
On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 1:47 PM, Chris Mohler <cr33dog gmail com> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 2:13 PM, Seldom Needy <needthistool gmail com> wrote:
I was wondering about the operation of importing and exporting keyboard
shortcuts for GIMP. In

See the note at the very bottom of this page:
http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-concepts-shortcuts.html

Basically, you should be able to copy the menurc file from one machine
to the other.

Chris

From the linked article:

"Custom Keyboard shortcuts are stored in one of Gimp's hidden
directory (/home/[username]/.gimp-2.8/menurc) under Linux, and
C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\.gimp-2.8\menurc under Windows
XP. It is a simple text file that you can transport from one computer
to another."

As stated, I was looking to port keyboard customizations in Windows 7
and 8, which are not explicitly documented (unlike XP). But, having
searched my hard drive with the hint, I found a menurc in the location
C:\Program Files\GIMP 2_8\etc\gimp\2.0\menurc

I imagine it's the same arrangement, barring that the paths are a bit
different. I will go ahead and test that theory tomorrow.

No. What the docs try to tell you, but fail - due to changes in the
windows user directory locations - is that this file is located in your
personal GIMP user profile directly, which is located in your Windows
user profile.

A better approach for the docs - and other places that try to tell
people how to locate their personal GIMP directories - would be to not
mention *any* directories, but show users how to find out that location
themselves:

1. Go to the Folders section in the GIMP preferences
2. See two folders there (in the default settings)

Example:
http://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-pimping.html#gimp-prefs-folders-data

One of them refers to a directory located where GIMP is installed, one
refers to the corresponding directory in the users profile folder.

Browse them in a file manager - for example Windows Explorer - and  have
a look at a few of the files in them - for example with a good text
editor (*not* Notepad) to get a feel for what is located there. The time
spent on this is well invested.

--
Regards,
Michael