Re: [Gimp-developer] Line Lengths

On 24 December 2015 at 06:28,  <jcupitt gmail com> wrote:
On 24 December 2015 at 10:55, john smith <kingstonflat gmail com> wrote:

I had a read of https://github.com/GNOME/gimp/blob/master/HACKING but
there is no mention of line length in the style guide.

GIMP uses a lightly modified GNU style, so 80 characters line length.

However, I can't help feeling that the code might be more readable
with a slightly longer line length.

Perhaps! But it's all 80 and is very unlikely to be changed. If you submit a
patch which breaks the 80 rule you'll probably be asked to reformat.
Consistency trumps almost all other considerations in a large project.

Is the code auto-formatted or done by hand?

There's no auto format on commit.

There are lots of tools which can format GNU style, for example the standard
"indent" filter defaults to GNU. It will sometimes mess up comment
formatting though. Google have a very fancy code reformatter which might do
a better job.

(I'm not actually a gimp dev, but that's my understanding of the situation,
corrections pls.)

John

Fair enough.

Or http://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/view/6558/indent-all-the-files-in-a-project-using-emacs