Re: [Gimp-developer] Create New Layer Button

No problem, Elle, glad to help. I find the "d" and "x" hotkeys handy for
painting/erasing the mask layer, because "d" ensures pure black and white
are in the foreground/background colours, and x swaps them, so the
paintbrush/airbrush/eraser (whichever you are using to paint your mask)
then becomes a switch-able painter and eraser with one touch of the x key,
rather than trying to use different hotkeys to switch tools. I've found
this is less confusing to new students than trying to use the eraser (which
should always erase transparency, in my opinion), but may or may not erase
to transparency based on what is the foreground and background colour. The
idea of painting transparency (which is what you are doing with a mask)
seems to be much easier to grasp than erasing to transparency based on the
state of the eraser.

On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 3:04 PM, Elle Stone <ellestone ninedegreesbelow com>