Re: [Gimp-developer] Create New Layer Button

On 04/03/2015 07:44 AM, Gez wrote:
El dom, 29-03-2015 a las 11:53 -0400, Elle Stone escribió:

What you just described - shift-click the new layer button plus dragging
the foreground/background color - works perfectly, MUCH better than
using the new layer dialog. Thanks! Many thanks!! By comparision, using
the new layer dialog really is cumbersome.

Dragging bg/fg colors to the editing area is definitely a handy option
in GIMP, and it also has predefined keystrokes (ctrl+. and ctrl+,).
iirc the keystrokes are the same that PS uses.
If clicking just created a transparent layer, it would be much faster
and less disrupting to fill the new layer afterwards when it's required.
The only situation that would require an extra click is filling with
white if other BG/FG colors are set, but it's just one click away.

Where's the documentation for these two shortcuts? I did a quick
internet search and didn't find any tutorials or documentation regarding
"shift-click" plus "drag the color".

GIMP official docs:

http://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-tools.html#gimp-toolbox-areas

The shift-click on the new layer button is not documented though, it's
only available as a tooltip

http://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-dialogs-structure.html#gimp-layer-dialog

The docs also say that "A good way to visualize a GIMP image is as a
stack of transparencies: in GIMP terminology, each individual
transparency is called a layer."

http://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-image-combining.html#gimp-concepts-layers

I think that makes a reasonable case for a default using transparency
and putting the extra options in a second level.

As I said earlier, Tobias' proposal allows that keeping discoverability
and reducing workflow interruptions.

As long as shift-click and dragging a color to the new layer keeps on working, changing the new layer dialog doesn't present any problem that I can see.

In case anyone else doesn't already know this, if you have a selection made, dragging the color to the layer fills the selection. It's a very convenient shortcut.

Elle