Re: [Gimp-developer] urgent

Some off list concern was raised about the GPL being primarily applied to
restrictions for selling and redistributing the GIMP software, however, the
GPL v3 does speak about program output as well:

"*2. Basic Permissions.*

All rights granted under this License are granted for the term of copyright
on the Program, and are irrevocable provided the stated conditions are met.
This License explicitly affirms your unlimited permission to run the
unmodified Program. The output from running a covered work is covered by
this License only if the output, given its content, constitutes a covered
work. This License acknowledges your rights of fair use or other
equivalent, as provided by copyright law.
"
Applied to GIMP, this essentially means that as long as you own the (c) to
the materials used in your logo/image, your work is protected under the
GPLv3 licence, when output by GIMP.

Conversely, It is important to note that you can not take other peoples (c)
materials, process them with GIMP and claim (c) over the new work. For
example, if you take a picture of Micky Mouse off the internet, put a
gradient background behind it in GIMP, and use the new image to make a
T-shirt or logo of it, you are still violating the copyright of the
original owner of the Micky mouse image you took.

The creators of all Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) have created this
software to use for free, for everyone, without limitation, discrimination,
etc. This includes use for business. To say the output can not be used for
sale or other business purposes would be discrimination, and would violate
the very idea of FOSS.

An example of a violation of this idea can be seen in Adobe selling
"non-commercial" licences for Photoshop. This is exactly the kind of
nonsense that FOSS was created to get rid of. Software that limits your
rights to your own creative works, are a violation of your rights. This is
a major reason why FOSS software is so attractive. It guarantees your
rights are preserved.

It is also worth noting that in most countries, intellectual property
rights are automatically applied to anything you make, and it is entirely
up to you how much protection you want for your idea/graphic. In the case
of a logo, you will want to register it as a Registered Trademark after you
are done creating it with GIMP/Inkscape.

There is nothing in the GPL that forbids this, and again, the whole idea
behind FOSS is freedom to create/modify/and do whatever you like with your
own works.

Hope this clarifies things a bit. :)

-C