Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2014 6:01 PM
To: lloyd konneker
Cc: gimp-developer
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Getting contributors via OpenHatch

Hi,

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 2:42 PM, lloyd konneker <bootch nc rr com> wrote:
Jehan said: There are already absolutely*NO* barrier to contribute to GIMP.

The GIMP project does not create barriers, but there is a learning-curve
barrier, and a social barrier.

More discussion of psychology of nerds is in the book "Hackers and
Painters". Paraphrasing: nerds don't want to be popular.  Its hard work to
be popular.  Nerds and painters are both makers.

OpenHatch goal seems: to make developing FOSS popular among young people who
want to make.

Well yes, I get that. But these people who "want to make", in the end,
they still have to deal with us, not OpenHatch. What's the difference
between going directly to us rather than going through a third party?
Anyway maybe there is a point I miss. Future will tell us. Maybe that
will be good for GIMP, who knows?

Jehan