Re: [Gimp-developer] Blend Tool UI

Michael Henning wrote:

I'd like to make some incremental improvements to the blend tool. On
IRC, Alexandre suggested to get the UI team involved, so I'm looking
for feedback/advice from the UI team.

let’s see how I can help you.

Here are my general plans:

* I'd like to make the blend tool generally more interactive. By
this, I mean that after the user has created a gradient, they will be
presented with handles that they can use to modify the endpoints of
the gradient before committing their changes.

good plan. combine it with updating the colours of the
endpoints to make it truly adjustable to get it _right_

hint: please do not make the endpoint handles small;
think generous (more tens of pixels than single digits) and
also show where the exact endpoint is in the centre of the handle
(say, with a cross to aim).

* I'd also like to add a live preview to the blend tool so users can
preview the gradient and experiment with different options, before
committing their changes.

yes, vital for making the previous point work.

please make commit an implicit thing (moving on to another
tool, starting another gradient) combined with explicit
(e.g. <return>) as a backup. see handling of committing
selections in the rectangular selection tool.

* I'm also planning to add undo support within the tool.

I hope you mean: step-by-step undo while not committed,
after a commit undo the whole committed gradient.

again: vital, to make other points above _really_ work.
both for the interactive part and as a form of non-committing

* The general consensus within the dev team seems to be that the
shapebursts (all of the gradient types currently marked "shaped")
should be moved out of the blend tool. They would likely be moved into
either a menu item, or (maybe?) within the fill tool.

as far as my thoughts go: there will be more working
with (vector) shapes in the future, and modifying those
shapes with a gradient fill (by the gradient tool)
could be the way to handle that.

    --ps

            man + machine interface works

        http://blog.mmiworks.net: on interaction architecture