Re: [Gimp-developer] Blend Tool UI

On 23/06/14 05:31, Michael Henning wrote:
I'd like to make some incremental improvements to the blend tool. On
IRC, Alexandre suggested to get the UI team involved, so I'm looking
for feedback/advice from the UI team.

Here are my general plans:

  * I'd like to make the blend tool generally more interactive. By
this, I mean that after the user has created a gradient, they will be
presented with handles that they can use to modify the endpoints of
the gradient before committing their changes.

  * I'd also like to add a live preview to the blend tool so users can
preview the gradient and experiment with different options, before
committing their changes.

  * I'm also planning to add undo support within the tool.

  * The general consensus within the dev team seems to be that the
shapebursts (all of the gradient types currently marked "shaped")
should be moved out of the blend tool. They would likely be moved into
either a menu item, or (maybe?) within the fill tool.

Any thoughts?

I like the idea.

If you have a "live preview", do you really need the handles to change it afterwards? IMHO it would be one or the other, and a live preview would be best (I've long been dreaming of seeing in real time gradients applied to layer masks).

Yes, shaped gradients are an oddity, but they would also be a bit out of place in the bucket-fill (unless this can be applied to other fillings). This would also require a new gradient icon in a rather busy Tool options dialog. At least in the Blend tool they are in a tool that deals with gradients. But would we need a "tool" for this? The UI is minimal since it is just applying the current gradient to the selection. A filter in Filters>Render perhaps?