[Gimp-developer] stock images [was: Re: urgent]

On Mon, 2014-06-09 at 07:46 +0200, Anna Alia Algawam wrote:
Good morning guys, it is 7:44 in the morning in Poland. I highly apreciate your
comments and help. Since I am thinking about starting my own business in a year
or two- I need to finish project firts, I am also thinking if you are aware of
any service with pics for commercial use and by commercial use I mean : website
and catalogue that would be printed in maaany opies,  I guess finally around
thousands of copies ?

First, note that it helps to change the subject of the email message if
you change the topic - I'd stopped reading this thread, thinking it
answered.

Second...

Yes, there are probably thousands, maybe tens of thousands, of stock
image companies around the world. I run a very small one myself -
http://www.fromoldbooks.org/ - as a spare time income and interest
thing.

Some of the largest -
. alamy.co.uk (can be expensive though)
. istock.com
. shutterstock.com
. dreamstime.com
. getty images
Many many more.

Beware of free image sites for commercial use - usually you have to pay
at least a little money so that you can say you had a legitimate right
to use the image, if the image turns out to have belonged to someone
else.  Unfortunately it's common for people to take an image and sell it
or post it on a free site saying it was their own.

It's not a good time to get into being a stock image company in general,
but there are niche markets that can be successful.

Liam