Re: [Gimp-developer] Jenkins infrastructure (Was: Jenkins tutorial)

Forwarded with Sam Gleske's permission:
On  24.2.2014 at 3:21 PM Sam Gleske wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 5:05 AM, scl <scl gplus gmail com
<mailto:scl gplus gmail com>> wrote:

    But if you have sth. stable for production use and are willing to
    contribute it in form of a Jenkins job, I'll be glad to integrate it.
    I think our both wikis (wiki.gimp.org <http://wiki.gimp.org>,
    gui.gimp.org <http://gui.gimp.org>) would benefit
    from such a test, too.
    Schumaml, Prokoudine etc.: what are your thoughts or requirements
    about it?

I'm not familiar with the shorthand "sth".  I can start running tests
against www.gimp.org <http://www.gimp.org> and begin to start ironing
out bugs which would need to be fixed in my program.  I've run into bugs
here and there running my crawler against large websites.  Right now
I've crawled and run against Drexel University IRT website using the
crawler which is ~70k links.  I'll do it for www.gimp.org
<http://www.gimp.org> too and then contribute a Job when I have it ready
(and for the other GIMP websites as well).

I don't know whether this could cause technical problems for www.gimp.org. The reason why I wrote 'something stable for production use' is that I want to avoid just them ;-)
Thus it would be good to hear our website administrators opinion to that.

Also, I'd like to note that
if you're not using git hooks now would be a good time to use them.
Rather than using Jenkins to constantly poll the SCM simply implement a
hook to launch a Jenkins job when a certain branch is committed to.

Currently we're polling SCM every few minutes. Adding a git hook to the
repository would surely need involvement of the GNOME administrators.
Is there a good reason to switch over from polling to hooking?

Greetings,

Sven