Re: [Gimp-developer] assets in the high bith depth age

On 02/10/2014 03:01 PM, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:
I agree with the file-format,
ad I don't think keeping the i18n's in file is a bad thing to do.

The idea of having a file as a "pill" containing all the translations,
and such seens much
more tasty than having to distribute separated i18n resources when
I publish, say, a color palette on my blog.

I doubt that you'll ever have all the translations. Do you speak chinese, basque, irish? In my view, the "external" I18N is easier to handle for the standard resources (resources are not modified by translations...) and allows roll-your-own I18N when the author doesn't speak your language.

Distributors of third party files are welcome to accept downstream
contributions to the assets
they create, or license their works in a way to allow for the creation
of new versions,
containing more languages.

And this quickly becomes a maintenance nightmare :)

However, one option does not exclude the other - the use of the
localization could be made in a way
to use either built-in translations for colors/metadata or look for
them in an external location
if the former way defaults. (then one could have the best of both Worlds)

Amen to that.