Re: [Gimp-developer] Adapted and unadapted sRGB luminance values

I hope you don't mind; I reordered parts of your email when responding to it.

Isn't the second (adapted) transform going to give us a D50 Y instead
of a D65 Y?

Yes, it will, and that's precisely what you want if you want to
correctly calculate an sRGB image's Luminance values from its RGB
values.

The main usage for this transform (D65 RGB -> D65 Y, with the
unadapted values) is to convert color images to grayscale. It seems to
me that having a D65 grayscale image is correct, especially because
when converting back to RGB D65 we simply copy the Y value into each
of the components.

I haven't really looked at the other cases of the values you pointed
out yet, but none of those are widely used code paths. They should
probably be examined individually.

D50 has two uses in an ICC profile: the profile illuminant and also
the profile white point for profiles with D50 white points.

I don't think we should be accounting for the illuminant when
converting to grayscale.

As an aside, you can't assume that any of today's LCD monitors are
calibrated to match sRGB or even to have a D65 white point

Every monitor is different. D65 with the sRGB primaries is the same as
ITU‐R BT.709‐5 (HDTV), which I think is a reasonable approximation for
certain calculations. Nobody is claiming that our conversions are
exact for an profileless, uncalibrated monitor.

So is there some
other place in the babl/gegl/gimp code where there is an actual
hard-coded matrix transform between two D65 color spaces? If so, which
two D65 color spaces?

The YCbCr transform in babl might be wrong (assumes D65, in a case
where we don't want D65), but you already pointed that out, and I
wasn't really talking about that conversion.

Well, what I really want babl/gegl/gimp to do is stop using sRGB as
the "one space to rule them all" and instead, if there has to be a
single internal color space, make it the D50 Identity color space ...

I think the main reason for choosing an sRGB-like space is because of
convenience. Many images are in sRGB, and it's nice to be able to
store them in 8-bits/channel without severe quality loss. People using
other color spaces are more likely to use high bitdepths, where the
profile choice is less critical for image quality.