Re: [Gimp-developer] gimp-developer-list Digest, Vol 24, Issue 22

Hi Jehan, Chris, Marc, list members,

Thanks for your feedback. I do feel "autocomplete" is either too intrusive
or feels awkward for a "Save File" dialog, because of the degree to which
it interferes with the UI/ or prompts the user with existing filenames.

in the cases you do want to overwrite, it is better to have the user
write it down
or select it by mouse, so that we prevent too fast "enter-enter-damn
it was the wrong name!" consequences).

I've re-examined the Windows "Save As" file chooser and find it has an
autocomplete -- but I've never noticed it as intrusive. It may be because
the "Filename Input" is below the list pane & thus less visually obtrusive,
and the Windows autocomplete doesn't capture/block any of my key bindings.
(Enter or Alt-S).

Anyway if possible, I'd say there should be intermediate autocompletion
types. Like "autocomplete folders, but not file names" (so we still help
users
to choose a folder,

I examined the GIMP "Save As" chooser more closely.

I found that Autocomplete blocks Alt-S always, and captures/blocks 'Enter'
if your mouse pointer is over/ has entered the autocomplete field. The net
effect of these is very disruptive to my normal expectation of how a UI
should work (press Alt-S once).

It is occasionally possible for Alt-S to actually *work* to save the file
from the dialog, but only in the occasional case where autocomplete hasn't
popped up or has been dismissed already. Most of the time, you press it
once, again, it still doesn't work & then have to mentally context-switch
for a different key. Not good for work rhythm.

By comparison, the Windows autocomplete is down the bottom of the dialog --
below the filename input & away from the file list/ navigation pane -- and
captures/blocks neither Alt-S nor Enter, even if you have moused over it.
Several autocompletions are offered in an unobtrusive way & don't seem to
be a problem.

So perhaps it is not the logical concept of "autocompletion on Save" which
is invalid, perhaps it is rather the UI design & visual layout, and
especially the blocking of keybindings which cause it to be a problem.

Here's how to reproduce it on Linux:
Note a mysterious box in the lower right collecting your keystrokes

Version: GIMP 2.8.4 as shipped by Ubuntu.

Thanks for your report, Chris.

Regards
Tom