[Gimp-developer] GEGL Gaussian Blur (Gimp/gegl git)

I am finding that one possible show stopper is the gegl gaussian blur.

Here is a simple example. Open a 16bit, say 12 MP tiff image. Duplicate
Layer, and run gegl gaussian blur with x=y=100. On my Macbook Pro with 8G
RAM, either I will get vertical lines on the layer (at best) or crash my
Mac.

Is there a way to speed up gaussian blur or is this a Mac issue and never
happens on Linux?

Thanks,
Partha