[Gimp-developer] Mystery: scaling "thin" areas makes them partially transparent

I have a layer filled with black 100% opaque.

If I select a 3px wide strip only shrink the long side, the final result is not 100% opaque: I get a one-pixel high black line at 100% opacity with a black line at 87% opacity on each side. And is the selected strip is only 1px high, the resulting line is 74% opaque. If thereis no alpha channel I get gray instead.

This seems interpolation related since using "None" doesn't produce this result.

Is there an explanation to this? And can it be avoided?