Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP release: 2.8.10 request, OS X

Hi everybody,

Am 24.11.2013 um 10:59 schrieb scl <scl gplus gmail com>:

Hi,

today there was [bugreport] about outdated builds for OSX.

One reason for not being able to provide an official GIMP 2.8.8.
on OS X build were serious issues on OS X Mavericks, for instance
the [showstopper in the Text tool]. These have been solved in
the meantime (thanks especially to Simone Karin Lehmann, Michael
Natterer and Daniel Sabo).

Therefore I think we should bring out GIMP 2.8.10 soon,
including an official OS X build (preferably also for some older
OS X versions). As far as I know Claytons build is at the ready.
All we need is a 2.8.10 bump, don't we?

arrhhhg no, I’ve just released a bundle for 2.8.8.  (… and I don’t wont to redo some of the patches right
now.)

This situation shows us another weakness again:
there are at least four people working on an OS X release:
Clayton Walker, Simone Karin Lehmann, Partha Bagchi and
David Evans (Macports), not to mention the (still active?) maintainer
of the outdated Fink build and the various people building GIMP
on their own Macs. All of them do it in their rare spare time.
All of them struggle alone with the special build issues of GIMP
on OS X, its dependencies and the API incompatibilities between the various OS X versions.
Can you guys and girls please find a way to work together?

well, long story, at least from my point of view. I’ll try the short version. (the first version of this post
was way longer .-) )

Years ago, there was no GIMP for the mac besides MacPorts or Fink. Both were IMO not suited for casual Mac
users. Some day I got a hint from another Mac user, Christoph Schröder, how to use MacPorts to ease the build
process for GIMP (so basically he’s the one who started that all. Thanks, Christoph). So I hacked MacPorts a
lot and finally got a development environment very well suited for GIMP. I could built for all OS versions,
cross compile for all architectures, patch every source I wanted and include as many plugins as I wanted.
Everything was fine.

But differences came. Mainly about on what to focus the efforts. Plugins vs. stock GIMP, specialized
development environment vs. generic environment (MacPorts / jhbuild), specialized patches vs. generic ones.
And from what I see now in various projects and sources: NSObject classes vs. CoreFoundation.

I' focusing on plugins, specialized environment, specialized patches and NSObject classes.

What makes it so hard to speak to another at the mailing list or IRC

mainly that I have only very limited time and, that I don’t like IRC and, well, my bad english.

and unite your forces? Come on, we don't bite ;-)

Neither I do.

So I’ll give it a try.

Simone Karin Lehmann

—