Re: [Gimp-developer] I am hoping to contribute to GIMP. I have some ideas, but I want input if possible.

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 12:09 PM, DeVonte Applewhite <dapplewh nd edu> wrote:
Thank you for your response. We have used your input to clarify our
direction on this project. What do you think of this.
1. We will try to make a c++ implementation of gimpvector where we overload
operators and try to string the executable together so that it compiles.

As Sven also answered on the mailing list, GIMP is written in C, not
C++. And even though it may happen that some components may be written
in C++ if really it helped somehow (for instance when using some third
party library in C++ which is the best at what it does), I'm pretty
sure our maintainer won't accept any base class in C++, especially for
no reason.

Now if that's just for the fun of the experiment and the sake of your
class project, go ahead. :-) But don't have your expectations too
high, because such code may never make it upstream.

2. We will try to make a c++ implementation of gimpmatrix where we overload
operators and try to string the executable together so that it compiles. We
will also see if we can generalize some of the code that implements
operators.

Same as above.

3. We will attempt to fix at least one bug. If we can handle that, we will
try to do more bugs given enough time before the project's due date.

Cool.

4. We are trying to add a new feature to Gimp. It will be something small,
but we still want to do something that will be interesting. We were thinking
of looking into the filters or brush shapes to see what can come of that.

I understand that bug fixes are not sexy and you want something cooler. :-)
Well there are so many wanted features that it is hard to give advice.
About brush, I know there are some plans on supporting more brush
engine (in particular by using libmypaint, if not mistaken). Maybe
that's a path to follow if you want to improve brushes?
You may have an idea of the biggest planned features there:
http://wiki.gimp.org/index.php/Roadmap
Though if you have other ideas, we are always happy to consider
interesting new concepts.

But the best would be to come on GIMP's IRC where most of the devs are
hanging around (respectively in their timezones): #gimp on
irc.gimp.org
There you may ask questions if you have any, if you don't understand
something, or want to propose, etc.

We understand that this will not increase the speed of Gimp, but it may be
something else entirely that may be helpful to someone by chance (as we said
in our initial plan).

Thanks for this dialogue. It has been quite helpful to us moving forward.

You are welcome. Don't hesitate to come hang around on IRC. There is
no reason to just stop the dialogue. :-)
In any case, for the sake of the class, I understand that you have to
work fast and just implement "something to show your teacher". In this
respect you may not care too much about discussing too much about the
best approach and waste time. If that is the case, I fully understand.
Just be aware that some things are doomed from the start though (like
rewriting base class in C++ as you propose) if the goal is also to
merge upstream. Since I find it sad to waste good work and would
definitely prefer to see new contributors with upstream patches, well
I want to make sure you got this part.
In any case, have fun GIMPing! And maybe see you on IRC. :-)

Jehan

Have a great day.

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 4:39 AM, Jehan Pagès <jehan marmottard gmail com>