[Gimp-developer] Tablet/smartphone app for gimp dashboard via MIDI?

When I heard about the ability to take commands from MIDI devices the thought
corssed me to abuse a MIDI pad app to use it as a gimp dashboard to have
quick access to your favorite functions, maybe even brush size etc via a
slider.
Turns out I have no idea how set somethign like that up as I know not much
about MIDI and neither what app would be suitable or how to set it up.

Has anybody done something in that direction?
Would a Gimp Dashboard app be possible that way?

That would give one most of the control to the free hand when the other is
used for the stylus or mouse.