[Gimp-developer] OSX Performance (screen redraw)

Hi all,

I wasn't sure if I should post here, but I figure it can't hurt.

I'm running OSX 10.7.5 (Lion) w/ 4GB ram, and have been primarily using two
builds from Simone and Partha.  (Partha's 2.8.6 build, and the latest from
Simone for Lion 2.8.4 - 2.8.4p2)

What I'm seeing is an incredibly slow screen/canvas redraw when doing
actions that affect the entire layer.  For instance, here is a small
screencast of turning a layer on and off in my system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxLlOJY7ZJs

I've tried setting the tile cache size from 3GB to 1GB, and even down to
512MB, but it makes no difference.

I've found previous posts around about color management possibly being the
culprit, but I've tried it both with/without color management enabled, and
it appears to make no difference.

The only thing I've noticed is that if I zoom into a much smaller region,
things speed up quickly.  (It's actually faster to zoom in to about 300%,
toggle a layer visibility or adjust curves, then zoom out - where the
effect has been applied across the entire image layer, as opposed to trying
to do while viewing the entire image).

I saw a changelog that mentioned this might be fixed, so I'm worried I
might be doing something wrong...

--
pat david
http://blog.patdavid.net