Re: [Gimp-developer] 15 lines

On Fri, 2013-01-25 at 20:54 +0100, Daniel Hornung wrote:

> What if not the number of lines were fixed but the distance between lines in
> screen units (physical distance or fixed amount of pixels)?  I could nearly
> always live with a line every 10 or 20 pixels, and would find it very
> convenient if the distance was about the same no matter what my zoom level is.

Usually I start with the whole image on the screen, identify several
vertical and horizontal elements in the picture, get the grid roughly
lined up on one of them, zoom in (usually to 50%) and get it lined up
more accurately, zoom out to check, zoom back in and adjust if needed,
then check the other picture elements, note the angle, then press
Rotate. Then flatten the image so that the diagonal transparency at the
edges doesn't throw my eyes off, and see if it looks OK. If not, undo
the flatten image, undo the rotate, repeat with a slightly different
angle.

So I really want to be able to zoom and pan and have the lines in the
reverse/corrective-mode rotate preview move with the canvas.

For a large image, I can only fit a tiny portion of the canvas on the
screen, and the lines aren't usually straight, so it's a question of
panning around a lot to see.

This sounds like a lot of work, but then, the images on
www.fromoldbooks.org are generally higher quality than most other sites
have available :-) (or so I like to think).

It *would* be nice to be able to drag the grid around, or to use guides
I could place on the canvas, though. It's often difficult or impossible
to get a line on the grid to match up exactly with an image feature
without having so many lines that when you zoom back out you can't see
the image!

Liam