Re: [Gimp-developer] 15 lines

On Fri, 2013-01-25 at 19:09 +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

> > I don't think that would solve the problem. To rotate the image precisely....
>
> There are tons of use cases when you don't need to rotate precisely,
> and the grid gets in the way.
You can turn off the grid for those... (for me they are the rare cases)

> > The easiest straightening solution I know of is the Straighten tool in
> > Photoshop Elements or the Straighten option in the Crop tool of Photoshop
> > CS6: Drag a line along the horizon and you're done.
>
> This is how several open source tools work (e.g. darktable and Rawstudio).

GIMP is *MASSIVELY* better in the case where you're straightening things
based on a mixture of horizontal and vertical elements in the picture
and not just playing with snapshots of the beach </tease>

An alternative might be to allow the placement of angled guides and have
a "rotate image to make this guide vertical/horizontal" option.

For me, one reason I wanted the enhancement (included in gimp 2.8) to
the undo history to say, rotate by 4.15 degrees, is that if that's too
much I can undo and try again with 4.07 degrees. I do that a lot and
used to write down the numbers each time I used "rotate".

(A "flatten image after rotate" or, "layer to imagesize afterwards"
would save time too)

Liam