Re: [Gimp-developer] Gimp from git Gegl Gaussian Blur and Unsharp Mask useability issues

On 4 December 2013 19:50, Teo Mazars <mazarst ensimag grenoble-inp fr> wrote:
This Gaussian blur slider range doesn't really allow slider selection
of
small, precise values less than 1, so typing in values is still
necessary. A logarithm-type scale might be better than a linear scale
as
the useful range for blur necessarily is large, and the larger the
image, the larger the useful range.

[...]

The other gegl_chant_double_ui values are pretty obvious. What does
the
value "1.5" do?

The "1.5" is the UI exponent you were asking for in Gaussian Blur, 1.0 is linear. If 1.5 is not enough, you
may try 2.0 or larger. For the slider step problem, I don't know much about that sorry... I think the new
UI values you suggest are good. So please, try some more by tweaking the exponent and you can commit
directly to GEGL master those changes, if you want.

A way to type in values without risking accidentally causing a very
large radius operation would be very welcome.

Agreed, I am not sure how to solve that though...

I wonder what values other people might find useful for Gaussian blur
and USM? I have a 10MP camera. Someone with a 30 or 40MP camera
probably
would need a larger range, which is one reason why user-settable
ranges
might be a nice feature. Different styles of processing would be
another.

I agree too, but this is also an UI problem and I am really not an expert. A reasonable arbitrary UI range
+ exponent is already a step forward.

What if we can think of a way of hint up values for the UI, but not
constrain the operator values themselves by these values - so that one
could make a 2000-radius gaussian blur, if really needed?
(despite any UI changes themselves to allow suitable ranges depending
on the image size
for certain controls? - (brush radius and gaussian blur come to mind) )

Thank you,

Téo