Re: [Gimp-developer] Procedure for new patches

On Fri, 2012-10-05 at 22:37 +0900, Jehan Pagès wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> First I guess a small presentation is in order as a new member to this
> list: my name is Jehan. I am working with an animator, in the optic of
> creating an animation. And we are using Gimp for this (see
> http://girinstud.io/ for our newly set-up website).
>
> As a consequence, I have been working on GIMP code lately, hoping to
> fix issues that my animator or I would encounter, and to add new
> features. For this, I have set up a public repository at
> git://git.tuxfamily.org/gitroot/gimpgirin/gimp.git (branch named
> "girin").
> I have also just created my 2 first GIMP tickets, one is a bug fix
> (Bug 685557), the other a small feature (Bug 685559).

Thanks and welcome to the party :)

> As the HACKING file in the repo says "The best way to submit patches
> is to publish your git repository and ask developers to git-fetch from
> you.",

Heh, does it really say that? I can imagine which of our git crazy
hackers added this section. If you plan to keep a lot of patches
around there, this is probably a good idea, for one or two it's
total overkill :) we will see.

>  I just wanted to be sure the procedure is the right one. Should
> I rather make a new branch per fix/feature? Should I just give you the
> commit hashes (as I did in these tickets) and you can pick just these
> commits into the main repo? Do you actually prefer me to generate a
> patch and attach it on the list or in a ticket?
> Something else?

All is fine so far, we will look at your patches. Thanks for
contributing!

--mitch