Re: [Gimp-developer] Save/export, option to go back to old behaviour

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 15:35:59 +0100, Michael Schumacher wrote:
>> Von: Robert Krawitz <rlk alum mit edu>
>> And as I noted before, the GIMP 2.8 behavior does not protect against
>> the kind of overconfidence where you think you're just not going to need
>> the layer information in the future.  You've made a conscious choice at
>> that point not to save it.
>
> This may change in future versions - where maybe you won't even have
> the choice not to save, because saving has become so cheap that it can
> be done any time, and the program just does it for you.

This can become really annoying, really fast...

Applications that helpfully save their constantly can cause a lot of
grief if I change something I really, really didn't want to change that
causes something very strange to happen.  Yes, I know about the undo
stack and all that, but...

Hopefully, it will be something like an incremental (journaling) save
with periodic compaction/resave, so that if something goes wrong all I
have to do is roll back the journal.

There's also the problem that this will quickly consume a lot of disk
space.  Again, I'm well aware that disk space is cheap, but when you're
editing 100 megapixel panoramas (which I do quite a bit of), it can chew
up disk space in a hurry.
--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk alum mit edu>

MIT VI-3 1987 - Congratulations MIT Engineers men's hoops Final Four!

--Eric Crampton