Re: [Gimp-developer] Save/export, option to go back to old behaviour

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 14:44:12 +0100, Simon Budig wrote:
> Alberto Mardegan (mardy users sourceforge net) wrote:
>> Is it actually possible for a user to lose the layers when saving to
>> JPEG with gimp 2.6? The JPEG plugin asks to flatten the image, at which
>> points the users would cancel the process if he really cares about them.
>> Or do you have reports when this did not occur for some reasons?
>
> * User creates a multi-layered image
> * User saves to JPG, gets prompted for flattening
> * User either does not understand about layers or flattening
>   or does understand it, but really just wants the JPEG file for sharing.
> * JPEG file gets saved
> * Gimp 2.6 marks the image as saved.   <--- critical!
> * User quits Gimp, no prompt for unsaved images
>
> Layer information lost.

Fine.  But after this happens once or twice, users will understand
what's going on.  It really isn't necessary for everyone to be
inconvenienced, with no way out, just to protect inexperienced users.

(And yes, I have read the vision document.  I understand the save
vs. export issue -- or at least, I believe I do -- but it is not at all
apparent to me why users must be forcibly restrained in this manner.
And if you're really targeting professional users, they're going to
understand the layers issue, no?)

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk alum mit edu>

MIT VI-3 1987 - Congratulations MIT Engineers men's hoops Final Four!

--Eric Crampton