Re: [Gimp-developer] [Gimp-user] Gimp pdf export turns high res xcf into low res file and distorts text

Thanks again for your response. Sorry to be unclear. I first made the xcf at 100 ppi, importing photos and adding text; then when I had trouble exporting it to pdf (the photos were too blurry), I re-created it from scratch, setting it at 300ppi using Advanced Options under 'New File'. But when I exported it to pdf, it was teeny tiny--about 2 inches by 1 inch instead of 11 x 6 inches. So I couldn't see if it was high res, since I had to zoom to about 450% to see it, by which time it was blurry again. I'm trying a new document from scratch with very high res photos to see if that will help. Thanks again for helping me--your e-mail helped me make more progress than I managed to make all day.

From: Chris Mohler <cr33dog gmail com>
To: Kamilla Elliott <kamilla_elliott yahoo com>; gimp-developer <gimp-developer-list gnome org>
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2012 7:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp pdf export turns high res xcf into low res file and distorts text

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Kamilla Elliott
<kamilla_elliott yahoo com> wrote:
> Thank you so much for the speedy reply. That does improve the res and sorts
> out the font problems totally. It's still not printer ready--the photos,
> which are very high res when I import them, remain a bit too soft and
> blurry. I have the file at 100ppi--when I create one at 300ppi and recreate
> it, it becomes the size of a postage stamp so it's hard to see the res. on
> that one. I will keep plugging along. Thanks again.

I'm not sure I follow you, but you might be hitting an old and tricky
bug that sometimes causes problems when scaling.  You might try
resizing in steps - eg, scale it about 50% of the way then scale it to
the right size on the next pass.  It's been a while since I had to do
this - I don't remember if I had to do it in just 2 passes or more.

Chris

PS - hit "reply all" to respond to the mailing list ;)