Re: [Gimp-developer] Save/export, option to go back to old behaviour

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 17:20:47 +0200, Alexia Death wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm mattdm org> wrote:
>> To run with this analogy: the problem is when you *frequently* need
>> something that is more than nano provides. In the specific case of Gimp, I
>> don't think there's anything else that offers layers, curves, and a healing
>> brush. I use those things all the time in quick JPEG editing. (The layers
>> only temporarily, of course -- I'll be looking forward to adjustment layers
>> when that work is done.)
>>
>> If we had a whole toolbox of photo editing tools at our disposal in Linux,
>> I'd be less sad.
>
> There is quite a lot. Darktable and Digikam integrated editor both
> offer most of this(I thin latest digikam even had some healing) and
> are the breadknives of this workflow. Both can directly load RAW too,
> afaik....

Actually, that's the problem -- there *are* so many editors, and each
one has a different interface and different limitations.  I much prefer
to just use one editor that has all the capabilities I need.

It's important to use the right tool for the job, certainly, but image
editing has the same basic primitives regardless of whether it's quick
and dirty or a major project.  Having to remember different commands to
do curves, sharpening, denoise, levels, and such isn't very productive.
--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk alum mit edu>

MIT VI-3 1987 - Congratulations MIT Engineers men's hoops Final Four!

--Eric Crampton