[Gimp-developer] Google Summer of Code mentoring

I'm a student wishing to participate in Google's Summer of Code and I would like to implement dynamically resized layers. I contacted Martin Nordholts, the potential mentor on the wiki page but he said he does not have time to be a mentor. I would like some details, instructions or hints about implementing this so I could first of all write a proposal. I haven't participated in GSoC before so I don't really know how much you are supposed to help potential applicants but I hope there's someone who can provide more information than the short wiki description.