Re: [Gimp-developer] How much money to make a dent in GIMP 2.8?

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 10:05 PM, Jeremy Morton <admin game-point net> wrote:
> With all due respect, your method of not paying anyone has resulted in 2
> years without a stable release of GIMP.  What's your point?  It's not like
> things are just rosy and there aint nothing to fix.

Failure to release in 2 years is not a problem curable with money.
Long development cycle is the result of merging more than a few large
features early on that took time to mature and stabilize. It's a
result of going for "perfect completeness in one go", instead of
taking small simple and above all, releasable steps. We will try to
address this shortcoming in the next few cycles by trying to keep the
main tree in a "releasable" state at all times and add new stuff in
small self-contained functional but perhaps feature incomplete chunks.
I know Peter disagrees with me and many others on this, because he
wants to see his babies "complete", but that's exactly the thinking
that got us this long cycle and exactly the thing we need to avoid.
Adding more developers, specially paid ones without addressing the
causes is not going to improve matters much unfortunately. there will
be more things waiting around for those few touches to become
releasable pushing the deadline ahead.

--
--Alexia