Re: [Gimp-developer] canvas and layer

El 19/06/12 16:12, Liam R E Quin escribió:
On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 21:17 +0300, Ursu Dumitru wrote:

Now what I was wondering was: is there a real need for having both these
things: canvas and layer? Aren't they pretty much the same thing?
The canvas is a sort of layer that contains other layers, such that the
inner layers are clipped to the edges of the canvas.

Maybe it would make some sense for the canvas to be a layer group
instead, and to have a "clip to group container" checkbox on a layer
group. But the canvas is a strong metaphor.

Not to mention that canvas size is a straight reference to the boundaries of physical media (for example an A4 sheet of paper) and it also dictates the size of the exported image (every composition will be cropped to the canvas size when exported to single layer formats) Personally I don't see any reason to revisit these concepts. They describe different things and they are equally necessary.

Gez