[Gimp-developer] canvas and layer

Hello

I've noticed that the the problem with Save/Export is calming down ( I guess till the Ubuntu users get their hands on GIMP 2.8, and start whining  ), so I want to start a new issue, and I hope it will be a constructive discussion.

Now what I was wondering was: is there a real need for having both these things: canvas and layer? Aren't they pretty much the same thing?

Maybe there is a need for that canvas, and a logic explanation for it being there in GIMP, but I don't see it.

Cheers,
Dima