Re: [Gimp-developer] c2g improvements

On 1 June 2012 17:55, Jacek Poplawski <jacekpoplawski gmail com> wrote:
> hello,
>
> I like the effect of c2g operation available in GIMP for a long time, lots
> of people use it for kind of "HDR" effect but I think it's nice way to
> increase local contrast of some specific areas of photo or add nice looking
> noise
> However, the main problem of current implementation of c2g is its
> inefficiency, it takes a lot of time to process standard size photo.
>
> I am author of delaboratory and I started implementing c2g-like operation in
> my project, after few days I was able to achieve something similar to
> GIMP/GeGL c2g but much faster.

Hi Jacek,
c2g is a GEGL operation. You will find it in operations/common/c2g.c
in the GEGL tree.

I would recommend first finding out what causes the current slowness
you experience: Is it the GEGL integration in GIMP? (compare c2g usage
in GIMP with using GEGL directly). Is it due to some overhead in GEGL
core? Or maybe there is room for optimization in the operation itself?

> I would like to implement something like that to GIMP. I don't want to
> modify existing c2g code, because I assume current implementation is well
> designed (mathematicaly) and should stay. So it would be nice to create
> something like "simple c2g" or "c2g lite" or just "local contrast boost"
> operation.
>
> My question is - are you interested at all in this kind of code? Will it be
> accepted in GIMP? Because my main concern is that I don't want to implement
> something which will never be used. I am not aware of current state of
> project (I mean project management, not code) and I don't know what's the
> process of submitting code to GIMP/GeGL right now.

If you are going to do a new operation, the right way to do it is in
GEGL. GIMP and others can then use it.

--
Jon Nordby - www.jonnor.com