Re: [Gimp-developer] Update and apology

mr. Tanaka,

I use GIMP since the year 2000
Maybe I can help you to identify some key points in your "crash experience"
I've used GIMP for almost every artwork I've done along Photoshop -
just because some things goes faster (not as computing speed) but as
operation logic ( workflow if you like ...) and for me those crashes
your talk about ...they are a wonder for me.

For me GIMP 2.X  until 2.7  was extremely stable under Windows or Linux.

I remember one time - in less than 24 hours I must prepare a 5.5m x
3.5m poster for a factory expecting a visit from an international
customer. The computer was prepared for web design not for prepress
and large scale graphics. I can open all images from their list in
Photoshop but I can't save the work because ...insufficient memory.
Then for almost any layer movement Photoshop put me to wait long time
when not just crashed. GIMP (2.4 if I remember well) just save my day
because printing factory called me every 5 minutes.

Until Photoshop CS4 for also, important operations like "liquid
rescale" and "content aware fill in PS" (aka "heal selection" on GIMP)
was only possible in GIMP (and some small demonstrative programs). But
for prepress I was forced to use Photoshop under Windows and Linux.

Regarding so many crashes something must go wrong with the hardware -
GIMP use a quite modular plugin system - so many custom plugins will
crash without affecting the application.

Send me a separate message with your problems one by one - so we can
solve things out of this mailing list.

I have a lot of GIMP plugins, themes, and some good experience,
probably I can help you to earn some time...

Other readers of this list may help you also - if you can express very
clear what you need.
If you can speak clear, it's almost improbable that one or another
will not throw a helping hand.

BTW - please don't hate me for analogy with An American in Rome, is an
italian movie from 1954, I am sure you will like this movie too ;).