Re: [Gimp-developer] gimp 2.8 prohibitively slow

On 18/07/12 10:45, Aaron Paden wrote:
So I mostly use MyPaint, but I'd like to be able to do some things in gimp, too. But gimp is way too slow on this computer. Especially trying to open large images like MyPaint encourages, I'll have to run to another tty to try and kill the process so I can continue to use my computer. I've got an old Pentium 4 with only about half a gig of RAM. A bit behind the times, but especially on Linux it's generally fast enough to get the job done.

Is there anything I can do to help improve performance? I don't have much experience. I doubt I could write anything any faster. But maybe I can do something to help identify bottlenecks? Anything I can do to help, I'm game.

You can try turning off color management in your preferences (there's a bug in GIMP 2.8 that makes painting tools and selection widgets slower when color management is active) and you can try with different tile memory settings but I'm afraid your system specs are low for high resolution painting in a program like GIMP.

hth,

Gez.