[Gimp-developer] quick compatibility question

Hi I was told by a friend to download Gimp for great photo editing. The question I have is will it work on my system. I have Windows 7 home premium 64 bit edition.  The 2.6.11 version available on Gimp.org says that you have to have windows xp service pack 2 or newer to run.  Do you think it will run o.k. on windows 7 - 64 bit. When do you think you'll have a 64 bit version dedicated for windows 7?