Re: [Gimp-developer] Text-Handling in GIMP: Vision

Just my two cents as a professional user:

  • Text in GIMP is always part of the composition - (unless it is an annotation)
  • There is no such thing as paging in gimp
Agreed. Multi-page layout work is best performed by word processing apps, and advanced design using illustration apps.
  • Text in gimp has form and symbolic meaning, but meta levels of information in text are not supported
I invite us to consider changing this paradigm. With the expanding adoption of DAM tools in the professional environment, having the text within Gimp files searchable can be a plus for the user and potentially beneficial for further adoption by professionals.

  • Complete control over typography and the layout of text on the canvas
This needs expansion. What exactly would be included in "complete control"?
If this is referring to traditional typographic adjustments such as kearning, leading, tracking,justification, decoration etc., I believe the developers have that covered already.
If you are suggesting enhanced tools, I have some ideas such as
  • Drop shadow adjustments
    • Color
    • Opacity
    • Blur levels
    • Blending modes
  • Rapid Access to character maps
  • Access to additional font metrics and character sets when available within the font file.
  • unicode supported localisation of text tools
This sounds like a great idea!

  • text editing for ever
This could use some clarification.  Can you reword this in greater detail?

super-fast workflow, when they are experienced
While the existing text tool performs decently for me, speed-wise, I would like to vote up faster workflows. Sometimes though, a faster workflow just comes from a simpler interface. Having to go back and forth between the text box and the pallet is an example of where the existing system is lacking some simplicity. I also understand that at some point, a limit to the number of features added to the tool will be reached, or we are in danger of bloat, both visually and virtually.