Re: [Gimp-developer] Development environment

Hi scl,

On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 11:43:44 +0100
scl <scl gplus gmail com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as I'm currently getting deeper into GIMP development, I'm considering
> which tools to use beside the already known git, jhbuild, make,
> autotools etc. I mean which IDE, Git (GUI) client etc. do you use?
> Because I know that this question can lead to animated discussions, I'm
> explicitly not asking who has the greatest tool, but which tools *have
> proved* efficient and useful for you?
>
> I already checked the mailing list archives and found some hints, but no
> exhaustive answer. I'd be glad if you could answer the following
> questions I mainly found at [1] (thanks to Massimo!). The answers would
> be a guide for other new contributors, too.
>
> Q: What is the tool that you use for Gimp development (ex: Vim, Emacs,
> Eclipse, Netbeans, Anjuta, ...)?

I used gvim (a sort-of-GUIish version of Vim), valgrind, gdb, konsole, KDE,
Bash, some perl on the command line, etc.,

> Q: Does your development environment support direct compilation (answer
> Yes or No)? If so please explain how in the note (e.g. IDE/editor
> feature or with plugin x, script y, ...).
> Note:

Yes. it does: type ":make" in the gvim window. (Not sure I always use it,
though).

> Q: Does your development environment support code completion (answer Yes
> or No)? If so please explain how in the note (e.g. IDE/editor feature or
> with plugin x, script y, ...).
> Note:

There are several code completion mechanisms and plug-ins for Vim. Maybe seem
OmniComplete.

> Q: Does your development environment support documentation browser?
> (answer Yes or No)? If so please explain how in the note (e.g.
> IDE/editor feature or with plugin x, script y, ...).
> Note:

I use Firefox for that.

> Q: Does your development environment support debugging? (answer Yes or
> No)? If so please explain how in the note (e.g. IDE/editor feature or
> with plugin x, script y, ...).
> Note:

I tend to use gdb for that.

> Q: Does your development environment support code refactoring? (answer
> Yes or No)? If so please explain how in the note (e.g. IDE/editor
> feature or with plugin x, script y, ...).
> Note:

I'm not sure if there's an open-source code refactoring tool for C available.
Some refactorings can be done semi-manually using a tool such as Perl, Emacs
macros, or http://coccinelle.lip6.fr/ .

> Q: Does your development environment support Bugzilla integration? If so
> please explain how in the note (e.g. IDE/editor feature or with plugin
> x, script y, ...).
> Note:

No Bugzilla integration, but a web browser should be good enough.

> Q: What are the special benefits of your development environment?

Well, gvim allows for fast editing and can combine various keystrokes in a
myriad of ways. It takes some time getting used to, but a small subset of the
command can be learned pretty easily.

> Q: What are you still missing?

Well, maybe I want something more integrated, and with better (and fast) GUI
support.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish