Re: [Gimp-developer] Development environment

I'm sure other people will have better answers.

> Q: What is the tool that you use for Gimp development (ex: Vim, Emacs,
> Eclipse, Netbeans, Anjuta, ...)?
> A:
code editor (Geany) + a virtual terminal + valgrind + GDB

> Q: Does your development environment support direct compilation (answer
> Yes or No)? If so please explain how in the note (e.g. IDE/editor
> feature or with plugin x, script y, ...).
> A:
Yes.
> Note:
Compilation is built into Geany, bu I use a virtual terminal instead.

> Q: Does your development environment support code completion (answer Yes
> or No)? If so please explain how in the note (e.g. IDE/editor feature or
> with plugin x, script y, ...).
> A:
No
> Note:
There might be a plug-in that provides code completion, but I never
felt any need (unlike when writing html, for which I use bluefish).

> Q: Does your development environment support documentation browser?
> (answer Yes or No)? If so please explain how in the note (e.g.
> IDE/editor feature or with plugin x, script y, ...).
> Note:
I don't know what "documentation browsing" is, other than opening
documentation and reading it.

> Q: Does your development environment support debugging? (answer Yes or
> No)? If so please explain how in the note (e.g. IDE/editor feature or
> with plugin x, script y, ...).
> A:
GDB and valgrind.
> Note:

> Q: Does your development environment support code refactoring? (answer
> Yes or No)? If so please explain how in the note (e.g. IDE/editor
> feature or with plugin x, script y, ...).
> Note:
I don't know what code refactoring is.

> Q: Does your development environment support Bugzilla integration? If so
> please explain how in the note (e.g. IDE/editor feature or with plugin
> x, script y, ...).
> A:
No
> Note:

> Q: What are the special benefits of your development environment?
> A:
No complicated guis to deal with, esssentially no CPU or RAM overhead
except when actually compiling.

> Q: What are you still missing?
> A:
The one thing I don't like about Geany is I haven't figured out how to
save different sets of documents for reopening when I switch projects.

http://ninedegreesbelow.com - articles on open source digital photography