[Gimp-developer] Gaussian/Tileable blur: Choice of IIR and RLE still necessary?

Hi,

I'm currently working out a GUI brainstorm idea for the Gaussian and Tileable Blur dialogs. Both dialogs let the user choose between the algorithms IIR and RLE. The documentation says, IIR is faster on photographs, RLE faster on drawings. I've never found a difference in computing time between these both algorithms and wondered, whether the choice is still necessary with modern computer environments.
What do you think about it?

Thank you,

Sven