[Gimp-developer] Gramps-Connect and Narrative Web

Hi,

I've spent this morning looking over parts of the Gramps-Connect HTML + CSS + JavaScript. I am hoping to contribute a little and work with Doug and whoever else is involved to make the Gramps-Connect better and maybe even responsive so that it will adapt well to smaller screens.

However, I also took a look at the Narrative Web template file. I was considering the amount of work needed to improve that as well since it has been stated that Gramps-Connect and Narrative Web would have shared resources.

I can't remember who worked with Rob on that HTML-generator code for the narrativeweb.py file, but to me it looks completely unapproachable. Last time I worked on Narrative web the template was largely HTML with Python handling the dynamic aspects. It was relatively easy to read and alter.

This current narrativeweb.py file is not that way. There is little or no visible HTML in the file. I can kind of decipher this new HTML-generator code, but there's no way I or probably any web designer is going to feel comfortable writing new HTML with this mechanism.

However clever this HTML-generator is, I think its continued use will only make the Narrative Web plugin less attractive to potential web dev/designer contributors. And it has almost no relationship to the template methods used on the new Gramps-Connect codebase.

I recommend divorcing the Gramps-Connect and Narrative Web resources. I think there is and will continue to be a lot of interest in Gramps-Connect. I think its HTML, CSS and JavaScript should be developed to be as efficient and modern as possible. Trying to accomplish that feat will be difficult enough without anchoring it to the aging and now-difficult-to-update Narrative Web code.

Leave Narrative Web where it is (stable, useful) and develop a new, cutting edge web platform on Gramps-Connect. Then, once Gramps-Connect has stabilized, rebuild the Narrative Web template based on Gramps-Connect.

I hope I am not offending anyone. This is just my perspective and opinion as a professional web designer and developer.

Jason Simanek