Re: [Gimp-developer] Adding WebP Support to GIMP

On Fri, 2012-08-24 at 10:24 -0700, William Swartzendruber wrote:
[...]
> I'd really like to work on WebP.  What if I were to extend the
> existing plugin's export dialog with every known configuration option
> under an "Advanced settings" expander?

That doesn't sound very easy to use... :-)

Rather than using "advanced" as an excuse for not thinking about how to
organise the options :-) it's better to do the organising, combined with
a lot of online help (both the tool-tips and the documentation).

Having said that, it remains to be seen whether WebP will succeed or
not. "26% smaller than png" isn't really a good comparison - e.g. see
the pngcrush program. I'd be much more interested in a plugin to let
users experiment with png options to get the most compact possible image
file.

Best,

Liam

The barefoot programmer